I’ve been doing this challenge every year since 2017 but have never quite achieved that magical number of reading 20 books from my TBR over a three month period. Perhaps 2021 will be my year!
Half the fun of participating in this project is choosing which books to read. Yesterday I perused my shelves and selected these ones (see picture below), but I know if I did this exercise today I may well choose other books instead — it’s all so dependent on my mood!
You will note there are only 15 in the pile; the remaining five are on my Kindle.
- ‘Girl, Woman, Other’ by Bernardine Evaristo (British)
- ‘Burmese Days’ by George Orwell (British)
- ‘The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne’ by Brian Moore (Irish)
- ‘Maestro’ by Peter Goldsworthy (Australian)
- ‘The Watch Tower’ by Elizabeth Harrower (Australian)
- ‘A Theatre for Dreamers’ by Polly Samson (British)
- ‘Mermaid Singing / Peel Me a Lotus’ by Charmain Clift (Australian)
- ‘The Broken Book’ by Susan Johnson (Australian)
- ‘Born Into This’ by Adam Thomson (Australian)
- ‘Bila Yarrudhanggalangdhuray / River of Dreams’ by Anita Heiss (Australian)
- ‘Love Objects’ by Emily Maguire (Australian)
- ‘Shuggie Bain’ by Douglas Stuart (Scottish)
- ‘Wolfe Island’ by Lucy Treloar (Australian)
- ‘The Vanishing Half’ by Brit Bennett (American)
- ‘Hamnet’ by Maggie O’Farrell (British)
And on the Kindle:
- ‘Newcomer’ by Keigo Higashino (Japanese)
- ‘The Bass Rock’ by Evie Wyld (Australian)
- ‘The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper’ by Hallie Rubenhold (British)
- ‘Back When We Were Grown Ups’ by Anne Tyler (American)
- ‘Golden Hill’ by Francis Spufford (British)
If you don’t already know, this “challenge” is run by Cathy, who blogs at 746 Books. The idea is to read 20 books from your TBR between 1 June and 1 September. Note that Cathy’s pretty flexible with her “rules”, so I reserve the right to swap books out and read others from my physical and electronic TBR as and when the mood strikes me.
Have you read any of the books I’ve chosen? Any suggestions on which one to start with first? Are you participating in this challenge?